5.26.2004

m i l l e n n i u m | cooking : ben's jade chicken

Ben is the dev lead on Firefox, which is replacing IE as my main personal browsers. I want to give this dish a try when I get a chance.

m i l l e n n i u m | cooking : ben's jade chicken

Jade Chicken (My Variation)

Preparation time: 20-30 mins
Cooking time: ~ 10 mins

1lb chicken, cubed
1 egg
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp salt

3 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Black Bean Sauce with Garlic Dinner Sauce
1 tbsp water

1tsp sugar
1 tbsp Sherry
1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 cup Chicken Stock (e.g. 2 cubes Oxo + 1 cup boiling water)

2tbsp cornflour
2tbsp water

1 large onion, diced finely
1 large red pepper, cubed
handful of cashews

oil for frying

Directions:

1. Beat egg well with salt, blend in cornflour. Add chicken, set aside.
2. Mix Black Bean Dinner Sauce with water and set aside. Dissolve 2tbsp cornflour in 2tbsp water and set aside.
3. Heat wok to high temperature, add about 2T of peanut oil. When oil begins to smoke, add chicken and stir-fry until it changes colour. Remove and set aside.
4. Turn down the heat and cook onion, red pepper and cashews. Add black bean sauce mixture and stir fry for about a minute over low heat.
5. Turn the heat back up, add back the chicken, sherry, sugar, stock, soy sauce, cornflour mixture. Bring to the boil. Watery consistency should thicken with the cornflour mixture.
6. After a few minutes once reduced and sauce of medium thickness remove from heat and serve with steamed rice.

I got this recipe from "More Long-Life Chinese Cooking" by Madame Wong and Silvia Schulman, "Jade Chicken" - that recipe had grapes. You might think I'm commiting some sort of crime by not listing grapes here, well, I'm only listing things I've tried and I didn't have grapes so I didn't make this with grapes. You're free to add them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home