8.24.2004

RSS and the Library

The other day I was checking out at the Dublin branch of the CML. After the last DVD was scanned, I started with my pile out the door. The librarian stopped me to hand me my receipt. I thanked her and mentioned that I don't really need the receipt since I check the items on my card via the website and with the new email alert feature.

Then it hits me, why not use RSS? The information for my current checkout and holds are in metadata already plus my reader could do the checking for me whenever it scans for updates. It would also be a handly way to shair what I'm reading these days.

Now what about email you ask? Email is nice for an item by item update for when things are due or holds that are available for pickup. RSS shouldn't be seen as a replacement for email. What RSS will do is offer the big picture of what is out and on reserve at the time of the last check.

3 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is dumb

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 years of grade school and that's all you can come up with? Lamer.

-Dave M.

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey if you don't like his comments, then click off...duh!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home