8.17.2004

A bike, a boy and a sore butt

A few weeks ago, Jean and I got talking about the idea of getting a bike trailer for John. Hanging in our garage is a 2000 Gary Fisher Marlin bike that hasn't seen a mile on it. I won the bike while at AOL and just never found the time to use it. Jean's family took bike trips all the time and she's been looking for a way to get active with John.

I started price out the different trailers and found most were a bit more than what we wanted to spend. The next day as we headed to a friend's garage sale, we noticed our neighbor was also having a sale... with a Kid Kaboose bike trailer with a for sale sign next to it. So for about 1/4 the price of a new trailer, we had a new for us trailer.

A week went by but we hadn't messed with the trailer since John was sick with Hand, Foot and Mouth (nasty chicken pox virus). Our neighbor couldn't find the manual and my attempt to hook it on just left scatches on my frame.

Now today, Jean took a crack at the trailer and in fact found the owner's guide in the back storage area. She threw John in for a test ride and the kid was hooked. The bike however did not respond in kind to its three year layoff, snapping the chain as Jean shifted to climb up our drive way hill.

A quick run to Meijers for a flag and a kids helmet for John, then to Bicycle One in Gahanna to get the chain fixed, have a kick stand put on (to help get the trailer on and off without having to balance the bike) and have the seat adjusted before heading to Patty and Jay's to borrow one of their bikes for the first family ride.

Now I've been working out on stationary bikes for a few weeks now. That's not the same thing as a real bike. Given that the inlaws live in a pretty hilly sub division, we were lovin the down hill coasts while gasping as we cranked up the hills, Jean tugging the trailer since she'll use it during the day more than I will.

After the first ride, my butt hurt from the seat, my legs burning, sweat falling off me like rain, stomach reading the first round of hurl, and I'm still having fun and ready to take John for another spin.

Then another bike problem crops up. Jean had complained that the right peddle felt weak on the up stoke. When it was my turn to tug John, I noticed the same thing but worse, the peddle was coming off the bike. I had to walk the bike back up hill to the inlaws, boy still enjoying the ride in the buggy.

In the end, the fact that he had fun and got to see us active made it all worth it. In fact, we didn't take the bike out of the van.. It gotta go to Bicycle One for a new pedal

11 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I stumbled across your blog titled "A bike, a boy and a sore butt" while googling for an owner's manual on the Kid Kaboose bike trailer / kid carrier. So far I've not had any luck finding what I'm looking for. I read your blog, and you mentioned that you found the owner's guide for Kid Kaboose. I realize I'm a complete stranger to you, but if there is a page or two in there that have the basic instructions for getting the carrier attached to the bike, would you be willing to send them to me? (electronically or snail mail) Please feel free to email me directly. I greatly appreciate it!

Regards,
Lori

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for not leaving it in the previous post -- my email address is bsllas @ yahoo dot com

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Someone gave me a Kid Kaboose carrier without a manuual. I also found your website while looking for the manufacturer. Can you post or email me the manufacturer information. Hopefully they have a website where I can get the manual and information. I too am not sure how to hook it to my bike. email to panddknusel@yahoo.com

Thanks, Diane

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David
I recently purchased a Kid Kaboose for my son and I was hoping you could email me the manual as well, or the trailer to bike connection instructions. Thank you. kevinanddeb@bmts.com

Deb

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too purchased a second-hand Kid Kaboose and am hoping you can help me get info from the manual and/or manufacturer. I managed to get the trailer attached to the bike, but I can't figure out the child harness straps. Thanks for your help. -Amber
spookerpook@yahoo.com

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I also purchased a second-hand Kid Kaboose, any way you could email me the manual or manufacturer?
I don't know how to attach it to my bike.
thanks,
Amy
adzanger@gmail.com

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have this bike carrier. although the kids have messed it up. somehow and the part that hooks to the bike broke. you can't attach it anymore. my young son likes to push it around and just set it on back of his cars and bikes. just to play with it. but we bought new one today at meijer.
the kid kaboose still is here. i have been in search of a new attachemtn thing. cause there are few people looking into getting one. if anyone has any ideas or if i can get that part. if not i may as well just throw it out
my email is verybusygirl@charter.net

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyway i could get the kid caboose manual too pretty please???
james1772@yahoo.com

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love the kid caboose manual, too if you are willing to send it! saraherowe@yahoo.com

Thanks a ton!

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also looking for the Kid Kaboose Manual. If you are able to send it, I would really appreciate it. I saw all the other posts. my email is danielleinecuador@yahoo.com.
Thank you!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger James Boswell said...

David,

I too have a new Kid Kaboose without a manual. It has a universal attachment very different from Burley and others, so I could use a manual to figure it out. Can you help me? Thanks, jimboswell@tularosa.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home